Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The rising cost.....of cereal

Has anyone else noticed that while gas may have gone down, the price of cereal has gone up....about a million percent!!! Cereal is becoming a 'treat' - and i'm not talking about the'crappy, taste good, but are so bad for you' kind, i'm talking about the 'good for you' kind. A big box of special k with the strawberries in it is about $7!!! For $7 I can buy a whole lot more strawberries than what comes in the box. AND i've also noticed, that while the prices have gone up, the size of the boxes have shrunk!! The box is about the size of a piece of paper, and about an inch thick and the price is higher!! Pretty soon they'll be about the size of those one serving boxes--8 little boxes that come all shrink wrapped together--we used to get those for a treat when we were kids!! There would be a fight for the frosted flakes and fruit loops, but the rice krispies and corn flakes would stay in the cupboard until probably about a year later, mom would throw them out.
I think we should start a cereal protest or strike--stop buying it until they increase the size of the box back to what they were and they leave the price alone. Cereal is my favorite food--it works for all three meals and a snack--but thankfully my kids are not big cereal eaters, so the rise in cost won't kill me.

2 comments:

  1. When we were living up north I grabbed a box of multigrain cheerios from the shelf to buy. When I got up to the till it was $19!!! I put it back. Not worth it for cheerios!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda makes my $7 complaint seem insignificant doesn't it!!
    PS--hope the nose is on the mend!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete