Wednesday, February 9, 2011

rubbing elbows with the rich and famous

Hockey Day in Canada.  Chris is the big hockey fan....but somehow the 3 of us ended up involved.  Chris volunteered so that he could watch the games and not have to try to score tickets; Taylor and I are working a coat check for their gala on Friday night. (Her class is raising money for a trip to Quebec in May).  
I noticed yesterday that it was the opening night for  Yukon’s Hockey History at MacBride Museum.  The best part about it was that is was FREE!  So we thought why not go, and Chris offer to buy us dinner after, so now how can i refuse!! ( I will do anything to not have to cook!)  So off we went at 5pm to beat the rush.
There were't a lot of people there when we arrived which gave us easy access to the Chocolate Claim appies as well as close ups of the exhibits.  There was a lot of reading involved as there were many pictures on the walls along with accompanying "write ups"; it takes a bit of time to work your way around the room.  (Kalli informed me later that there was a yellow bra on display?  I somehow missed that but would have like to read about its hockey relevance!)
After making our way around the entire exhibit-reading about the history of hockey in the Yukon,the attendance had definitely picked up and it was crowded.  The kind of crowded where you can't help but dirty dance with just about everyone as you make your way through the crowd.  We began our "slow dance" towards the door.  I hadn't gone more than about 5  feet when i positioned my my arm lightly on someones back to just let them know i was behind them, and there in front of me was Ron MacLean!  He was talking about his wife.  And then it happened-I took my next step forward and he shifted his stance and we "rubbed elbows"!  Yep, me and my homeboy Ron!
Chris told me later he thought he looked older in person (sorry Ron, i thought you looked just fine!)  Actually I thought he looked...well exactly the same as he does onTV-only he didn't have Don Cherry yelling at his side!
So that's it folks, that was my brush with "fame"!  I wonder what will happen at the coat check on Friday-whose coat will i get to hang on a hanger.....

No comments:

Post a Comment